- 4 carrots (rainbow if in season), peeled and cut into thirds then squared and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 3 ribs celery from the heart, halved lengthwise and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 small bulb fennel, trimmed and cored and cut into 1/4- 1/2-inch dice
- 1 turnip, peeled, squared and cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 large Russet potato, peeled, cut into planks then cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 onion, chopped into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 1 firm small to medium zucchini, cut into planks then cut into 1/4- to 1/2-inch dice
- 2 leeks, whites and light greens, trimmed, washed and cut 1/4- to 1/2-inch half moons
- 4 cloves garlic, thinly sliced or chopped
- 3 tablespoons good EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and finely ground black pepper
- 1 quart vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup fresh shelled peas
- 1/4 cup tarragon leaves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice, to serve
Serves: 4-6 servings
Add veggies to a large bowl as you cut them.
Heat a large Dutch oven or soup pot over medium heat with EVOO, 3 turns of the pan.
Add the vegetables to the pot and season with salt and pepper. Stir to coat them with EVOO then cover the pot and sweat the vegetables 10-15 minutes, stirring occasionally. Add the stock and water, bring the soup to a boil then reduce heat to keep soup at a low boil. Simmer 20-30 minutes then add peas and turn off heat. Cover pot and let stand 5 minutes. Add tarragon and lemon juice, let stand another minute or so then serve in shallow bowls.