“The spiral effect of sauces is easiest with condiment squirt bottles easily found at dollar stores or kitchen supply stores or on line from Amazon.com. Cut the tip a bit wide at top for easy swirls.”
- 1 avocado
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 small handful cilantro (optional)
- Juice of 2 limes
- 1/2 cup chipotle in Adobo sauce
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 pounds ground sirloin
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped or grated
- 3 tablespoons grated white onion
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon (a scant palmful) each cumin, coriander and chili powder, preferred brand Gebhardt’s
- Canola or olive oil, for drizzling
- 8 slices yellow/orange cheddar or Colby-Jack
- Sliced pickled jalapeño peppers
- 1 cup Pico de Gallo or store-bought salsa
- 4 slices of yellow/orange American cheese, cut on the thicker side
- Sesame seed burger rolls, split and lightly toasted
- Gem lettuce leaves
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and diced
- 1/2 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- A small handful cilantro, finely chopped
Purée ingredients for the Avo-Cream Sauce in a food processor then transfer to a squeeze bottle. Rinse the processor bowl and return it to the base.
Place the chipotles, adobo sauce and ketchup in the processor and purée. Transfer to a squeeze bottle.
Heat a cast-iron skillet over medium-high to high heat. Drizzle pan with oil and add patties. Cook 5 minutes, flip then top each patty with 2 slices of cheddar or Colby-Jack (layer the slices so they overlap on an angle). Top cheese with a few pickled jalapeños and a couple tablespoons of pico or salsa. Top salsa with American cheese and loosely cover pan with a foil tent to melt cheeses.
Place 2 leaves of lettuce on each bun bottom then top with a Queso Burger. Swirl the Avo-Cream sauce and Chipotle Ketchup on top of the burgers and serve with bun top alongside.
Hot Turkey Burger
Firecracker Deviled Corn Dogs