- 12 ounces farro spaghetti, lemon spaghetti or thin spaghetti
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 spring onions or 2 leeks, both whites and light greens, very thinly sliced on bias or chopped
- 1 bulb spring garlic or 2 large cloves, thinly sliced
- 1/2 pound thin asparagus, thinly sliced on bias
- 2 spring fennel or 1 small bulb, quartered and cored and thinly sliced
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup fresh peas or fresh shelled fava beans
- 1 escarole, chopped or 2 to 3 heads gem Romaine lettuce
- 1 lemon
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling
- A handful Pecorino cheese, to serve
Bring a large pot of water to a boil for the pasta. Once boiling, add salt and pasta, and cook to al dente.
While the pasta cooks, heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of pan. Add onions or leeks, garlic, asparagus and fennel, and sauté 3 minutes. Add peas or shelled fava to the vegetables and wilt in greens. Add lemon zest and juice then reduce heat to lowest setting.
Reserve 1/2 mug of starchy pasta water then drain the pasta. Add pasta to skillet with sauce and vegetables and toss with reserved cooking water, a drizzle of EVOO and the Pecorino. Adjust seasoning and serve.
Sicilian Lemon Spaghetti
Pasta Ribbons with Peas, Prosciutto, Cream and Spring Pesto
Pasta alla Carbonara with Spring Onions and Lemon