- 4 6- to 8-ounce pieces white fish, such as cod, Tilapia or sole
- Salt and finely ground pepper
- EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil, for drizzling plus about 2 tablespoons
- Zest of 1 lemon
- 1/4 cup Dijon or grainy Dijon mustard
- About 1/3 cup toasted almonds or hazelnuts, processed into crumbs
- 1/2 cup whole wheat or plain Panko breadcrumbs or gluten-free breadcrumbs
- 2 tablespoons Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese (optional)
- 2 tablespoons chopped flat-leaf parsley
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh thyme
Preheat oven to 400°F with a rack set in the upper third of the oven.
Arrange fish on a parchment-lined baking sheet and season with salt and pepper. Drizzle with EVOO then halve the zested lemon and douse each filet with about 1 teaspoon juice from one of the lemon halves and brush each filet with a tablespoon of Dijon mustard.
Combine nut crumbs with lemon zest, breadcrumbs, cheese and herbs, salt and pepper. Coat the fish with breadcrumbs, gently pressing them into place. Bake fish to firm, opaque and flaky. Serve with remaining lemon half cut into small wedges.