- 9 egg yolks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon almond extract
- 1 14-ounce can sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 2 cups coconut milk
- 1 12-ounce can evaporated milk
- Flaky sea salt (I use Maldon)
- Cooking spray
- 1 loaf cinnamon-raisin challah bread (stale is best), cut into 2-inch cubes
- 4 large croissants (stale are best), cut into 2-inch pieces
- Whipped cream
- 1 cup almond slivers, toasted
- 1 cup shredded, sweetened coconut, toasted
Mix the custard. In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and sugar until the egg yolks lighten in color and the sugar becomes less grainy. Add the almond extract and slowly pour in the sweetened condensed milk while vigorously whisking to incorporate it into the yolks. Add the heavy cream, coconut milk and evaporated milk in the same way.
Load the slow cooker. Turn your slow cooker to low. Use the cooking spray to coat the bottom and sides. Toss the bread in the slow cooker and arrange it to be as level as possible. Pour over the custard and gently press down to make sure all the bread has contact with the custard. Sprinkle the top with salt. Cover and cook for 4 hours or until the bread is tender, but not soggy.
Serve scooped into a bowl with a dollop of whipped cream and a sprinkle of almonds and shredded coconut.