- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 4 chicken breasts, boneless skinless cut horizontally to form 8 flat fillets then pounded to even 1/4- to 1/2-inch thick
- Salt and pepper
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 shallot, large finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 ounces mushrooms, cremini, sliced
- 1/2 cup sweet Marsala
- 3 thyme sprigs, fresh
- 3/4 cup chicken stock, reduced-sodium
Place flour in a pie plate. Season flour and chicken with salt and pepper. Dredge chicken in flour mixture to coat lightly.
In very large, nonstick skillet, melt 1 tablespoon each of butter and oil over medium-high heat. Immediately add 4 coated chicken pieces and cook about 2 minutes per side, or until golden brown. Transfer chicken to plate. Wipe out skillet and repeat to cook remaining 4 chicken pieces in 1 tablespoon each butter and oil. Set chicken aside.
Add 1 tablespoon each butter and oil along with the garlic to same skillet and stir 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and season with salt and pepper. Sauté 3 minutes, or until mushrooms are tender and their juices evaporate. Add Marsala and thyme sprigs, and simmer 2 minutes, or until Marsala reduces by half. Add stock and simmer about 5 minutes, or until reduced by half.
Working in batches, return chicken to skillet and cook just 1 minute, or until heated through, turning to coat. Discard thyme stems and stir remaining tablespoon butter into sauce; season to taste.
Using tongs, transfer chicken to plates. Spoon sauce over chicken and serve.