"Can't Beet It" Burger
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
- 3/4 cup (a fat handful) walnuts, toasted
- 1 can black beans, drained
- 1 large clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 1 egg or vegan egg substitute
- 2 medium roasted beets*, peeled and coarsely grated or processed
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- 1 1/2 cups cooked, cooled brown rice (cook up 1/2 cup)
- Salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 1/2 teaspoons smoked paprika
- About 2 tablespoons safflower or olive oil
- 4 slices Swiss or smoked Gouda, if you prefer cheeseburgers (optional)
- 1 cup plain Greek yogurt or sour cream
- 1 rounded tablespoon horseradish, (I use Gold’s)
- 1/4 cup combined finely chopped chives, dill and parsley
- 4 lightly toasted sesame or poppy burger rolls
- Lettuce, tomatoes, red onion and sliced dill pickles, for topping
*To roast beets, preheat oven to 400°F, wrap beets in foil pouch and cook to tender, about 1 hour to 90 minutes for larger beets. Let them cool in the pouch then just rub off the skins with paper towels. Store peeled beets in a plastic bag for 10 days and up to 2 weeks.
Grind nuts to breadcrumb-like consistency in a food processor. Place black beans in a bowl and mash them with a fork, then add garlic and egg, and stir to combine. Add shredded/processed beets, lemon juice and rice, and season with salt, pepper and paprika. Stir to combine and form 4 patties.
Heat a large, nonstick skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add patties and cook 8 minutes, turning occasionally. Being careful not to overcook! (If making cheeseburgers, top patties with cheese during the last minute or two of cooking and tent with foil to melt.)
Combine yogurt or sour cream with horseradish, herbs, salt and pepper.
To build burgers, on bun bottoms, layer dill pickles, a patty or cheese patty, lettuce tomato, onion, some sauce and set bun tops in place.