- 4 potatoes, large Russet, scrubbed
- 1/4 cup cream cheese, softened
- 1/2 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup chives, chopped plus 1 tablespoon for garnish
- 2 pieces bacon, crisply cooked and roughly chopped
Preheat oven to 400°F. Prick potatoes with a fork and place them on a baking sheet. Bake for 45 minutes then let cool for 10 minutes.
Cut potatoes in half lengthwise and, using an oven mitt or towel to protect your hand, scoop the potatoes out of their skins into a large bowl. Set the skins on the baking sheet, scooped-out sides facing up.
Mash the potatoes, or even better, pass them through a potato ricer. Add cream cheese, cheddar cheese, butter, salt, pepper and 1/4 cup chives. Spoon 3/4 of the potato mixture back into the shells. Put the remaining potato mixture into a pastry bag with a star tip and pipe filling into each potato shell.
Return potatoes to oven and bake for 20 minutes. Sprinkle chives and bacon on top, and serve hot.