- 1 dill pickle, cut into 1/4–inch dice (about 1/4 cup)
- 1/4 cup onion, coarsely chopped mild, such as Vidalia or Maui
- 1/4 cup tomato, diced (1/4-inch)
- 2 tablespoons scallion, sliced
- 1 tablespoon ketchup
- 1 teaspoon chili sauce, hot, such as Sriracha
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon sugar
- 2 dogs, hot
- 1 teaspoon peanut oil
- 1 hamburger bun, (about 2 ounces), split in half
For the relish, combine all the ingredients in a bowl. Cover and refrigerate until needed.
With a sharp paring knife, cut the hot dogs lengthwise about halfway through the meat. Then make crosswise cuts in each one, spacing them about 1/3-inch apart and cutting about halfway through the meat; you should have about 12 cuts on each hot dog.
Heat the oil in a sturdy skillet. Add the hot dogs and cook over medium heat for about 3 minutes, shaking the pan so the hot dogs roll over and brown on all sides. They will start curling up into wheels.
Meanwhile, toast the bun until it is crusty. Place a curly dog on each bun half, curling it into a wheel. Spoon some relish into the centers and serve.