- 3 tablespoons EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 cloves garlic, very thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1 teaspoon dry oregano or 1 sprig fresh oregano, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup red wine
- 1/2 cup chicken or beef stock
- 1 28- to 32-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- A few leaves basil, torn
- For the pork chops: 4 bone-in pork loin chips (each about an inch thick)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 cloves crushed garlic
Heat a saucepot over medium heat with EVOO. Add garlic and chili flakes, stir 2 minutes, then add stock and tomatoes, breaking them up with a wooden spoon. Add oregano and basil, and simmer 30 minutes over low heat.
Season the pork chops with salt and pepper. Heat a large, cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add garlic and thyme, and stir; place pan off to the side and add pork chops. Brown 3-4 minutes, turn over and put garlic on top of pork. Add sauce to the skillet and spoon it over the chops. Cook about 5- 6 minutes more until cooked through.
Serve with garlic mashed potatoes, polenta or garlic bread, and a simple salad with balsamic dressing alongside.