Prodigal Son's Tom Payne Talks Season 2 + Rach's Maple Pork Chop…
How To Make Bacon-Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce |…
Is The Covid Vaccine Safe? Dr. Ian On Why It's Worth The (Very S…
Soon-To-Be Mom of 6 On Relationship With Her Oldest Child: "I ca…
The Covid Vaccines Explained | Physician + "Doctors" Host Dr. Ia…
When Can You Get The Covid Vaccine? A Doctor Breaks Down Current…
Why You Should Still Get The Vaccine If You've Already Had Covid…
Chef Curtis Stone's Fried Chicken + Rachael's Chicken With Pears…
Sterling K. Brown On Filming Latest Season Of This Is Us + Rach'…
Rach's Bacon & Cheddar Burgers with Dijon-Horseradish Sauce + Al…
“The hallmark of this simple sweet and spicy stir-fry—velvety tender chicken—is achieved by boiling the marinated meat in oil.”
Active Time: 45 Mins
Total Time: 2 Hrs 45 Mins
- 2 egg, large whites
- 2 tablespoons toban djan
- 1 teaspoon salt, kosher
- 4 tablespoons rice wine, or sake, divided
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch, divided
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- Peanut oil, for frying
- 2 tablespoons black bean sauce
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar, light
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 cup scallions, minced
- 3 tablespoons ginger, peeled fresh, finely grated
- 2 tablespoons garlic, thinly sliced
- 3 red, small dried hot chiles
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed and cut on the diagonal into 1/2-inch pieces
- * Toban djan is a fermented chile-bean sauce and can be found at Asian markets or at unitednoodles.com.
* Toban djan is a fermented chile-bean sauce and can be found at Asian markets or at unitednoodles.com
In a large bowl, beat the egg whites with the toban djan, salt, 2 tablespoons of the rice wine and 1 tablespoon of the cornstarch. Add the chicken and toss well, then cover and refrigerate for 2 hours.
In a large saucepan, heat 1 inch of peanut oil to 375°F. Using a large slotted spoon, very carefully add one-third of the chicken to the hot oil and fry, stirring, until nearly cooked through and browned in spots, 1-2 minutes. Using the slotted spoon, transfer the chicken to a paper towel-lined baking sheet to drain. Repeat two more times with the remaining chicken. Reserve 2 tablespoons of the frying oil.
In a small bowl, whisk the remaining 2 tablespoons of rice wine with the black bean sauce, sugar, soy sauce and the remaining 1 tablespoon of cornstarch.
In a wok or large skillet, heat the reserved 2 tablespoons of frying oil. Add the scallions, ginger, garlic and dried chiles, and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add the chicken and asparagus and stir-fry until the asparagus is crisp-tender, about 3 minutes. Add the black bean sauce mixture and stir-fry for 1 minute. Transfer to a platter and serve.