- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 1/2 pound ground sirloin
- 3/4 cup green bell pepper, chopped
- 1/2 cup celery, chopped
- 1 onion, small yellow, chopped
- 1 tablespoon garlic, chopped
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup lemon-lime soda
- 1/2 cup ketchup
- 2 tablespoons yellow mustard
- 1 tablespoon cumin, ground
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon oregano, dried
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 8 hamburger buns
Heat the oil in a large Dutch oven over medium-high. Add the beef, and cook, stirring to crumble, until browned, about 8 minutes. Stir in the bell pepper, celery, onion, and garlic; cook; stirring occasionally, until the onion is translucent, about 6 minutes. Drain well.
Transfer the beef mixture to a 5-quart slow cooker. Stir in the tomato sauce, soda, ketchup, mustard, cumin, Worcestershire sauce, salt, oregano, black pepper and 2 tablespoons of vinegar. Cover and cook on HIGH until slightly thickened, about 4 hours, or on LOW about 8 hours. Stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon vinegar. Serve the beef mixture on the hamburger buns.
Excerpt from "Valerie's Home Cooking: More than 100 Delicious Recipes to Share with Friends and Family" by Valerie Bertinelli. Copyright © 2017 by Valerie Bertinelli. Used with permission by Oxmoor House. All rights reserved.