- 1 shallot, grated
- 2 tablespoons grainy mustard
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup EVOO – Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
- 1 rounded teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 2 Honeycrisp apples, quartered, cored and thinly sliced
- Juice of 1 lemon
- 3 to 4 ribs celery with leafy tops, very thinly sliced on an angle
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 bunch flat-leaf kale, stemmed and shredded into 1/2-inch slices
- 1/2 cup dried cranberries, plumped in hot water and drained
- Toasted pepitas (pumpkin seeds) and/or chopped smoked almonds, to garnish
Whisk shallots, mustard, syrup and cider together. Stream in olive oil while whisking to emulsify; season with salt, pepper and pumpkin spice.
Dress apples with lemon juice and combine with celery, onion, kale, cranberries, pepitas and/or smoked almonds in a large salad bowl. Toss with dressing to coat.