- 2 pounds Russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 7 tablespoons unsalted butter (plus more butter, for serving)
- 3 cabbage, lightly packed cups chopped kale or
- 3 green onions, minced (plus some for garnish)
- 1 cup milk, cream or half-and-half
Put the potatoes in a medium pot, cover with salted water. bring to a boil for about 20-25 minutes. Drain in a colander.
Return the pot to the stove and set over medium-high heat. Melt the butter, add the greens and sauté for 3 minutes. Add the green onions and cook 1 minute more. Pour in the milk, cream or half-and-half, and mix well.
Pass the potatoes through a ricer and add to the pot. Reduce the heat to medium and mash potatoes with a fork or potato masher.
Add more butter for garnish and sprinkle with any leftover green onions.
Excerpt from "The Quick Six Fix" by Stuart O'Keeffe. Copyright © 2017 by Stuart O'Keeffe. Used with permission by William Morrow Cookbooks. All rights reserved.