- 1 egg, large
- 1 egg, yolk
- ½ teaspoon honey, organic
- 1 1/2 teaspoon lemon juice, fresh
- 1 teaspoon organic mustard
- 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus more to taste
- 1 cup olive oil, extra virgin
Put the egg, egg yolk, honey, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt in a blender. Turn on blender, then slowly pour the oil in through the lid a drop at a time, then pour in a small, slow stream. Blend until mixture thickens. Taste and adjust your seasoning accordingly. Refrigerate in an airtight container.
OR, if using a mixing bowl…
1. In a medium bowl, combine egg, egg yolk, honey, lemon juice, mustard, vinegar, and ½ teaspoon salt. Whisk until blended and thickened, 30 to 60 seconds. It should be a bright yellow.
2. In a very slow, steady stream, pour in ½ cup oil, whisking continuously, 3 to 5 minutes. Gradually add the remaining ½ cup, whisking continuously until mayonnaise is thickened, about 6 minutes. Now the mayonnaise will appear lighter in color. Season with more salt if needed. Place in an airtight container and keep refrigerated.
Excerpt from "The Clean 20: 20 Foods, 20 Days, Total Transformation" by Ian K. Smith M.D. Copyright © 2018 by Ian K. Smith M.D. Used with permission by St. Martin's Press. All rights reserved.