- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 pound asparagus, trimmed of tough ends, thinly sliced on bias
- 3 green spring onions, whites and light green tops, or 1 bunch scallions, whites and light greens tops, sliced on bias
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped, or 1 bulb green garlic, whites and light greens, finely chopped
- 1 1/2 cups shelled green peas
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup white wine
- ½ cup chicken stock
- 1 pound penne or campanelle or fiore pasta
- 1 Gem romaine lettuce or Bibb/Boston lettuce, coarsely chopped
- ¼ pound Prosciutto di Parma, trimmed of fat, cut across into 1 inch ribbons
- Juice of 1 lemon
- Shaved or grated Parm or pecorino, to serve
- Chopped tarragon or basil, to garnish
Heat a large pot of water to a boil for pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium to medium-high heat. Add EVOO. To the hot oil, add the asparagus, onions, garlic, peas, salt and pepper and cook 2-3 minutes. Add wine, evaporate. Add stock and reduce heat to low.
Salt water and cook pasta to 1 minute less than package directions. Reserve 1 cup starchy cooking water and drain pasta. Add pasta to vegetables. Remove from heat.
Wilt lettuce into pasta and toss with ham. Add lemon juice, adjust seasoning and serve in shallow bowls or serving bowl topped with cheese and tarragon or basil.