- 3 tablespoons peanut or vegetable oil
- 2 eggs
- ¾ pound ground pork
- 4 scallions, finely chopped, whites and greens
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated or finely chopped
- ½ cup fresh shelled peas or defrosted frozen
- 1 inch ginger, grated
- 2 large cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 3 cups cooked rice (prepare 1 cup white rice in 1½ cups chicken stock)
- About 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- About 2 tablespoons Hoisin sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
Heat wok or large nonstick skillet over high heat with 1 tablespoon oil, add eggs to make a very thin omelet in center of pan. Fold browned omelet with spatula and remove. Add remaining oil to pan and brown and crumble pork. Add green onions, carrots, peas, ginger and garlic, and stir a minute or so. Add rice and fry, then add sauces and sesame oil. Chop up eggs and return to rice.
FOR THE FRIED RICE BALLS:
Frying oil, such as peanut or safflower
Leftover pork fried rice
1 cup flour
1 1/2 cups breadcrumbs
1/3 cup sesame seeds
Chinese yellow mustard
Sweet plum/duck sauce
Preheat oil to 350˚F.
Form balls of rice, using a little warm water or an extra egg to push the balls together if too dry.
Coat rice balls in flour, eggs and then breadcrumbs mixed with sesame seeds.
Fry balls to deep golden and sprinkle with minced chives to serve. Pass mustard and sweet dipping sauces.