Rach serves hanger or flank steak with an easy salsa verde, which gets its punch from fresh herbs, anchovies and garlic.
- 1½-2 pounds hanger steak or flank steak, cut into 4 portions
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons olive oil or canola oil
- 1 lemon, halved
- 1 cup flat-leaf parsley, packed
- ½ cup mint
- 2 large fillets anchovy
- 3 tablespoons capers, drained
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 shallot, peeled and coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- ¼ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
Bring steaks to room temperature, and season with salt and pepper before grilling or griddling. Heat cast-iron griddle or skillet over medium-high heat, add olive or canola oil, 2 turns of the pan, and cook steaks 8-10 minutes for medium-rare to medium doneness, adding halved lemon to skillet for last 2 minutes to caramelize. Remove steaks from pan, and let rest 5-10 minutes before slicing against the grain, then douse with juice of ½ lemon.
For salsa verde, place parsley, mint, anchovies, capers, garlic, shallot, juice of ½ lemon, red wine vinegar, Worcestershire, red chili flakes and EVOO in food processor, then pulse process into sauce and add salt and pepper to taste.
Arrange sliced steak on large plates and top with salsa verde.