If you want to get fancy, Rach often tops her Caesar salad with Sliced Steak and Frico Egg.
- 1 large head Romaine lettuce or 4 Gem Romaine lettuces, coarsely choppedFor the Caesar Dressing
- Juice of 2 lemons
- 4 large fillets anchovies
- About 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- About 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- About ½ cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 egg yolk (optional)
- About ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)For the Croutons
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed
- 4-5 cups stale peasant bread or white Italian bread, cut into bite-sized pieces
- Coarse black pepper
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
Preheat oven to 400˚F.
For the Caesar dressing, place all ingredients in food processor bowl. Pulse to combine, then turn machine on and stream in the EVOO. Taste to adjust seasoning.
For the croutons, place EVOO in a skillet over medium heat and melt in butter, then add garlic, add bread, and toss to combine and coat evenly. Season croutons with pepper and sprinkle with the cheese. Transfer the croutons to a baking sheet and bake until deeply golden and fragrant, 15-20 minutes. Cool to handle. (You’ll have more than you need. Store in tin or wrap in foil for up to 2 weeks.)
Dress the lettuce and the croutons to serve.