Buddy Valastro, host of Food Network's "Buddy Vs. Duff," shares his easy, go-to buttercream recipe for foolproof cake decorating.
- 7 ½ cups confectioners' sugar
- 2 ¼ cups vegetable shortening
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter, or ¾ stick
- 1 ½ tablespoons pure vanilla extract
- ¼ cup plus 2 tablespoons cold water
In the bowl of a standing mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine sugar, shortening, butter and vanilla and mix at low-medium speed until smooth, about 3 minutes.
With the machine on, slowly add the water in a thin stream and continue to mix until absorbed, about 3 minutes.
Refrigerate the buttercream in an airtight container for up to 2 weeks.