This quesadilla recipe is a mash-up of a classic club sandwich and Mexican grilled cheese with avocado (the "Cali" part).
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices meaty bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I like Gebhardt), about a palmful
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander, about ½ palmful
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, about ½ palmful
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), about ⅓ palmful
- 1 ½ cups grated pepper Jack
- 1 ½ cups grated yellow cheddar
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 4 large tortillas (11 to 12 inches) or 6 medium flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato or beefsteak tomato, seeded and chopped
- Pickled jalapeño slices, for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high. Add the bacon. Cook, stirring often, until the fat begins to render, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, chile, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the turkey; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the turkey is browned, about 5 minutes. Season with the chili powder, coriander, cumin, and dried oregano. Add ½ cup water. Cook, stirring often, until the water is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
In medium bowl, mix both cheeses with the crema.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium to medium-high. Spray 1 tortilla lightly with cooking spray and add to the skillet. Cook the tortilla until blistered in spots, about 1 minute. Flip the tortilla over. Top half of the tortilla with a quarter of the turkey filling, a few slices of avocado, some chopped tomato, and a quarter of the cheeses. Fold the tortilla over the fillings and cook, turning a few times, until the cheeses melt, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
Cut the quesadillas into the wedges. Top with pickled jalapeno slices and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.