How To Make Cali Club Quesadillas By Rachael
Rach's Cali Club Quesadillas + Downton Abbey's Hugh Bonneville
How To Make Steak Quesadillas By Rachael
How To Make Grilled Cheese with Blackberry, Balsamic and Basil |…
How To Make Vegan Burritos By Rachael
How To Make Grilled Pepper + Onion Kebabs | #StayHome With Racha…
How To Make Bacon, Lettuce, Avocado, Shrimp and Tomato Tacos By …
How To Make Deviled Pumpkin Grilled Cheese By Rachael
How to Make Turkey Club Flatbreads by Rachael
How To Make Salsa Verde Chicken or Fish Sandwiches By Rachael
How To Make Chicken Milanese and Antipasti Salad By Rachael
This quesadilla recipe is a mash-up of a classic club sandwich and Mexican grilled cheese with avocado (the "Cali" part).
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 4 slices meaty bacon, finely chopped
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 1 large jalapeño chile, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1 pound ground turkey
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon chili powder (I like Gebhardt), about a palmful
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground coriander, about ½ palmful
- 1 ½ teaspoons ground cumin, about ½ palmful
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano (preferably Mexican), about ⅓ palmful
- 1 ½ cups grated pepper Jack
- 1 ½ cups grated yellow cheddar
- 1 cup Mexican crema or sour cream
- 4 large tortillas (11 to 12 inches) or 6 medium flour tortillas (8 to 10 inches)
- Cooking spray
- 1 avocado, thinly sliced
- 1 large heirloom tomato or beefsteak tomato, seeded and chopped
- Pickled jalapeño slices, for serving
- Fresh cilantro leaves, for serving
- Lime wedges, for serving
In a large cast-iron skillet, heat the oil, one turn of the pan, over medium-high. Add the bacon. Cook, stirring often, until the fat begins to render, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the onion, chile, and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until the onion softens, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the turkey; season with salt and pepper. Cook, stirring occasionally and breaking up the meat with a spoon, until the turkey is browned, about 5 minutes. Season with the chili powder, coriander, cumin, and dried oregano. Add ½ cup water. Cook, stirring often, until the water is absorbed, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to low.
In medium bowl, mix both cheeses with the crema.
Heat a large nonstick skillet or griddle over medium to medium-high. Spray 1 tortilla lightly with cooking spray and add to the skillet. Cook the tortilla until blistered in spots, about 1 minute. Flip the tortilla over. Top half of the tortilla with a quarter of the turkey filling, a few slices of avocado, some chopped tomato, and a quarter of the cheeses. Fold the tortilla over the fillings and cook, turning a few times, until the cheeses melt, about 2 minutes. Repeat with the remaining tortillas and fillings.
Cut the quesadillas into the wedges. Top with pickled jalapeno slices and cilantro. Serve with lime wedges.