A celery- and ginger-flavored soda with a cult following in NYC inspired this refreshing vodka cocktail from Rach’s husband John.
"I'm doing a boozy twist on Dr. Brown's Cel-Ray soda, a famous New York Jewish delicatessen soda," John says. "It's celery meets ginger ale—that's the idea of cel-ray!"
And of course, Rach and John drank their cocktails out of John's family crest glasses. (Because Rach loves them and adorably insists!)
- About 1 stalk celery, chopped, plus 2 stalks for garnish
- About 1-inch ginger, peeled and chopped
- About 1 ounce celery seed-infused and strained simple syrup
- 3 ounces vodka
- 1 lime, juiced
- About 1 ounce Chartreuse liqueur, optional
- Dash celery bitters, optional
- Club soda, for topping
In a cocktail shaker, muddle chopped celery and ginger. Add celery seed-infused simple syrup, vodka, lime, Chartreuse, celery bitters and ice. Shake vigorously, the strain into 2 ice-filled glasses. Top with club soda. Garnish each glass with a stalk of celery.
Always drink responsibly.