How To Make Chicken Cacciatore and Pappardelle By Rachel
This Video of Rach's Number One Feline Fan Watching Her Cook on …
Anthony Michael Hall Talks "Halloween Kills" Story: "It's classi…
You're Doing It Wrong: How to Burn + Extinguish Your Candles So …
How to Make Crispy Skin Chicken with 5-Spice and Sichuan Pepper …
How to Make Bifteki (Greek Burger Patties) | Rachael Ray
How to Tell if Someone's Been in Your House While You're Away, A…
First Makeover Back in the Studio is for a Deserving Woman Who's…
Jeremy Sisto Teases Loophole That Could Allow Him to Make an App…
How to Kick Out a Car Window If You're Kidnapped | Former CIA Of…
This 16-Year-Old Started Her Secret Identity Movement for All Wo…
How to Transition Back to "Real Clothes" with Comfortable Staple…
How to Make Chicken with Apples and Pears and Cheesy Potatoes | …
Why New York Times-Bestselling Thriller Writer Brad Meltzer Was …
Jennifer Tilly on Her Chucky Character Never Aging: "It's Really…
Family-Run Vietnamese Restaurant Lilly's Cafe Is Still a New Orl…
How to Make Corn Crème Brûlée | Richard Blais
How to Make Butter-Basted Ribeye Steaks | Richard Blais
How to Make Bucatini with Creamy Bacon and Onion Sauce | Rachael…
How to Make Charred Radicchio Salad | Rachael Ray
The rich flavors of Rach's chicken cacciatore do double-duty as a pasta sauce for long ribbons of egg pappardelle.
- 3 cups chicken or blend of chicken and beef bone broth
- 1 cup dried porcini mushrooms or mixed dry wild mushrooms
- 1 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon ground white pepper
- 1 teaspoon ground dried thyme
- 1 teaspoon ground dried sage
- 8 boneless, skinless chicken thighs, trimmed and halved across center top to bottom
- Salt and fine black pepper
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 3 tablespoons butter, plus 2 tablespoons for pasta
- 1 pound baby bella or crimini mushrooms, sliced
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 2 small onions, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, sliced, chopped or grated
- 1 tablespoon Calabrian chili paste, or 2 teaspoons chili flakes
- 3 roasted red peppers, chopped
- 1 cup red or white wine
- One 28-ounce can San Marzano tomatoes
- 2 ounces chicken demi-glace or classic demi-glace
- 1 pound egg pappardelle
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, plus shaved parm to serve
- Finely chopped flat parsley, to serve
Heat bone broth and dried mushrooms in pot to low boil, reduce by a third and reconstitute the mushrooms.
Bring a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
In a shallow pan, combine flour, white pepper, ground thyme and sage. Season the chicken with salt and black pepper.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
Dredge chicken in flour to coat evenly and shake off excess.
Add EVOO to skillet, 2 turns of the pan, brown half the chicken 2 to 3 minutes on each side, remove to a plate, add more oil, another turn of the pan, and repeat.
Once all of the chicken has been browned, add 3 tablespoons butter to the skillet and melt, add fresh sliced mushrooms and brown well, add thyme, salt and pepper, onions and garlic, cook to soften and add chili paste or flakes, roasted peppers, wine and tomatoes, break up with spoon, melt in demi-glace, add chicken and reduce heat to simmer. Pull the chicken out. Add reconstituted mushrooms, finely chopped, and the broth. Reduce sauce at a good bubble for 20 minutes and remove one-third of the sauce to a smaller pot. Slide chicken into remaining sauce and let it finish cooking through.
Salt water and cook pasta 1 to 2 minutes less than package directions, and reserve about ¾ cup salty pasta water. Toss pasta with remaining 2 tablespoons butter, the cheese and the reserved one-third of the sauce. Use reserved salty pasta water to loosen the sauce as needed.
Serve pasta alongside chicken and top the chicken with shaved Parm and parsley.