How To Make Chicken Noodle Soup With Chicken Chips | Rachael Ray
The Great Jack O' Lantern Blaze Might Be the Coolest Halloween A…
How to Make White Pasta E Fagioli | Rachael Ray
How to Make Lobster Risotto with Saffron, Tomatoes and Zucchini …
A Breast Cancer Surgeon's Top 4 Lifestyle Tips for Better Breast…
This 25-Year-Old Started "Excuse My Grandma" Dating Podcast With…
Stacy London Swears by These Cooling Products During Menopause
How to Make Za'atar Chicken Shawarma + Turmeric Rice Pilaf | Rac…
How to Make Creamy Spinach Pasta | Rachael Ray
Ron + Clint Howard on New Memoir "The Boys": "This Is Really a L…
How to Make Homemade Cheese Ravioli Made With Fresh Egg Pasta Do…
According to Rachael, THIS Is How Long Opened Tomato Paste Lasts…
Rachael Shares Her Best Tips for Working with Fresh Thyme
How to Make a Negroni-Martini (Negronatini) | John Cusimano
Broadway Superstar Laura Benanti One-Ups Hugh Jackman's Most Emb…
Motley Crue's Nikki Sixx Says His Music Industry Uncle's Biggest…
How to Make Shrimp Parm | Rachael Ray
How to Make Hoisin Fried Rice | Rachael Ray
This Video of Rach's Number One Feline Fan Watching Her Cook on …
Anthony Michael Hall Talks "Halloween Kills" Story: "It's classi…
For those moments when Rach needs a healthy, comforting meal, she's all about chicken soup—this version has egg noodles and crunchy chicken chips on top.
- 2 carrots, coarsely chopped
- 2 ribs celery, coarsely chopped
- 1 onion, halved
- ½ leek, cut lengthwise
- A few slices of lemon
- 1 bulb garlic, halved horizontally
- 2 large fresh bay leaves
- ½ bunch parsley, parsley stems or parsley root tops
- Small bundle of sage and thyme, combined
- About 1 teaspoon black peppercorns
- One 3½- to 4-pound chicken
- Salt (season the chicken itself generously)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 large carrots or 6 orange and/or yellow small/baby carrots, peeled, cut into planks, then matchsticks
- 1 parsnip, cut into planks, then matchsticks (optional)
- 1 parsley root, cut into planks, then matchsticks (optional)
- ½ leek, cut lengthwise, then thinly sliced crosswise
- 3 celery, halved lengthwise, then very thinly sliced crosswise
- 1 onion, chopped
- Salt and fine black pepper or white pepper
- One 12-ounce package large egg noodles
- 2 tablespoons butter and/or olive oil
- Juice of ½ lemon
- About ¾ cup mixed chopped herbs, such as loosely packed dill, parsley and chives or tarragon and dill
- Store-bought chicken snack chips or chicken skin chips, to garnish (optional)
For the poached chicken, fill a pot with all the ingredients, add 4 quarts or so of water, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to simmer and cook 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, turning occasionally. Cool chicken for 1 hour in the pot. Remove chicken to a dish and cool to handle, then strain stock.
Remove skin and bones and pull or chop chicken meat into small pieces.
For the soup, bring a pot of water to a boil for noodles.
Heat another large pot with oil, 2 turns of the pan, add carrots (and parsnip and parsley root, if using), leek, celery and onion, season with salt and fine black pepper or white pepper, and soften vegetables 6 to 7 minutes. Add about 2½ to 3 quarts stock and bring to a boil, then reduce heat a bit and add chicken.
Season the boiling water with salt, cook noodles 1 minute less than directions (about 5 minutes), drain, then toss with butter and/or oil. Store noodles separate from the soup until ready to serve to avoid overcooking them.
Finish soup with lemon juice and herbs.
Place noodles in a bowl and top with ladles of hot soup. Top soup with chicken chips and serve.