Amanda Freitag of Food Network's "Chopped" adds bacon, parm and toasted breadcrumbs to her crispy Brussels sprouts.
Pro Tip: Amanda likes to sprinkle ¼ to ½ cup of this Brussels sprouts side dish over her Orzo Mac and Cheese With Black Truffle Butter before reheating in an oven and then serving.
- 8 ounces bacon, medium dice
- 2 shallots, minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 cups Brussels sprouts, quartered
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon cracked black pepper
- 1 ½ cups Panko breadcrumbs, toasted
- ¼ cup grated parmesan cheese
- ½ lemon, zested
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, render the bacon. When the bacon is halfway cooked, add shallots, garlic, and butter and cook for 3 minutes more. Add brussels sprouts and toss to coat. Cook slowly until tender and slightly browned. Season with salt, cayenne and black pepper.