If you can’t find whole wheat or regular panko breadcrumbs, use about 1 cup whole wheat Italian-style breadcrumbs and skip the garlic powder, onion powder, and salt.
- 1 tablespoon olive oil, plus more for the baking sheet
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder or granulated garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- Black pepper, freshly cracked
- ¼ cup fresh flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 1 pound ground turkey (light and dark meat) or chicken
- 1/2 sweet yellow onion, grated on a box grater
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup whole wheat panko breadcrumbs
- 1 large egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 cup broccoli stem and florets, chopped
Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with foil and lightly rub it with a little olive oil.
In a large bowl, combine garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, salt, pepper to taste, parsley, and cheese and stir to combine. Add turkey, onion, minced garlic, panko, egg, and Worcestershire sauce and combine gently. Add broccoli and the remaining 1 tablespoon olive oil and use your hands or a wooden spoon to just incorporate.
Wet your hands, then shape the mixture into golf ball-sized balls and place on the prepared baking sheet. Bake until cooked through, 15 to 20 minutes.
Excerpt from "The Happy Cook" by Daphne Oz. Copyright © 2016 by Daphne Oz. Used with permission by William Morrow Cookbooks. All rights reserved.