A spiced-up pumpkin spread and a drizzle of hot honey gives Rach's Deviled Grilled Cheese sandwich—which she created for our Halloween episode—some sweet heat.
Rach's Tip: For a mild grilled pumpkin and cheese, simply omit the hot sauce and use half the amount of mustard.
She likes to serve these sandwiches with her Roasted Garlic Roasted Pumpkin Soup.
- 1 cup pumpkin puree, store-bought, or reserved roasted from Roasted Garlic Roasted Pumpkin Soup
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika, pimenton
- 1 teaspoon hot sauce (Rach's go-to is Frank's RedHot)
- 1 teaspoon yellow or brown mustard (Rach likes Gulden's)
- ½ teaspoon ground sage
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon granulated onion
- 4 tablespoons softened butter
- 8 slices whole wheat or marble rye bread
- 4 slices yellow American cheese
- 4 slices sharp cheddar or Pepper Jack cheese
- Hot honey, store-bought or homemade
Heat a griddle or large cast-iron skillet over medium heat.
Combine puree with salt, pepper, paprika, hot sauce, mustard, sage, garlic, and onion.
Lightly butter 1 side of bread. Build sandwiches buttered sides out: pumpkin spread, cheeses, a drizzle of hot honey. Grill sandwiches to golden and crispy and cheeses are melted. Cut corner to corner and serve.