Rach makes a gluten-free Buffalo-inspired casserole that can go keto with rotisserie chicken or vegetarian with just cauliflower.
- ½ pound meaty bacon, cooked and chopped (Bake at 375˚F on slotted pan or wire rack-lined baking sheet to very crisp, about 18 minutes)
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 1 large head cauliflower
- 2 large heads cauliflower
- Non-aerosol cooking spray
- Salt and pepper
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 4 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- 2 small ribs celery with leafy tops, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, finely chopped or grated
- 1 ½ cups whole milk or half 'n' half
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 jar chopped pimientos (4 ounces), drained well
- 2 teaspoons pimenton or smoked sweet paprika, or about ⅔ palmful
- ½ cup hot sauce (Rach's go-to is Frank’s RedHot)
- 2 cups shredded yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 cup smoked blue cheese crumbles (or use additional cheddar)
- 4-5 scallions (green and white), cut on a bias
Preheat oven and bake bacon if using. Raise heat to 450˚F.
For Keto Version: Remove skin from chicken, then remove meat from bones and pull meat into bite-sized pieces or chop.
Cut cauliflower into florets and slice core. Arrange cauliflower on parchment-lined baking sheet and spray with cooking spray, season with salt and pepper and roast 15 minutes.
In a straight-sided pan or a saucepot, melt butter, add the garlic, celery, and carrots, season with salt and pepper, and stir 2 minutes. Add milk or half n half and reduce heat to simmer, add cream cheese and melt into sauce, then add pimientos and smoked sweet paprika. Combine sauce with hot sauce and stir in 2 cups shredded cheese to melt. In a casserole combine the cauliflower and chicken or all cauliflower with sauce. Top with blue and/or cheddar cheese and bake to brown and bubbly. Top with scallions and bacon bits, if using, and serve.