Rach slathers her grilled cheese sandwich with a quick and easy basil-mint pesto.
For the ultimate warm weather comfort food meal, Rach likes to pair this with her 5-Ingredient Fresh Tomato Soup. For a sweet & savory riff, check out her Grilled Cheese with Blackberry, Balsamic and Basil.
- 1 cup basil leaves
- ½ cup mint leaves (a handful)
- 1 clove crushed garlic or green garlic
- 3 tablespoons toasted pine nuts
- 2 teaspoons lemon juice (a squirt from ½ lemon)
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- About ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus about 2 tablespoons for bread
- 2 tablespoons butter
- Salt and pepper
- Six ½- to ¾-inch-thick slices sesame Italian bread
- 6 slices mozzarella or Muenster cheese
- 3 slices provolone cheese
Place basil, mint, garlic, pine nuts, lemon juice, Parm, ⅓ cup EVOO and salt and pepper in food processor, then process to a fairly smooth pesto so a spreadable sauce forms.
Preheat a griddle or large skillet over medium-low heat.
Combine 2 tablespoons EVOO and butter in small bowl and microwave 45 seconds. Brush one side of the sliced bread lightly. Flip buttered sides down and build cheese sandwiches by spreading pesto generously and topping 3 slices each of bread with 2 slices mozzarella and 1 slice provolone. Fold sandwiches together and place on griddle. Toast and brown sandwiches, remove from griddle and cut in half to serve.