Chef Chris Kimball, cookbook author, magazine editor and founder of 177milkstreet.com, shows how to make this recipe from Milk Street recipe developer Phoebe Maglathlin. He adds avocado and fresh herbs to Instant Pot white beans (aka cannellini beans) for a simple, healthy salad that's filled with fiber and protein.
- 6 cups Instant Pot White Beans with Sage
- 2 cloves garlic, finely grated
- 1 small red onion, halved and thinly sliced
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus more to serve
- Kosher salt and ground black pepper
- 1 ripe avocado, halved, pitted, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup lightly packed flat-leaf parsley, torn if large
- ½ cup lightly packed fresh dill, chopped
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest, plus 1 teaspoon lemon juice
To the hot beans, add the garlic, onion, vinegar, oil, 2 teaspoons salt and ¾ teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Let stand for 5 minutes. Stir the beans, then stir in the avocado, parsley, dill and lemon zest and juice. Taste and season with salt and pepper. Transfer to a serving bowl and drizzle with additional oil.