An easy cauliflower "bechamel," seasoned cashew cheese and eggplant slices add up to a vegetable-laden lasagna that is as healthy as it is delicious.
Richard made this light lasagna with Rach and co-host Bob Harper after opening up about his weight-loss journey.
- 1 head cauliflower, cored and chopped
- ½ pinch nutmeg
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast flakes
- 3 tablespoons olive oil, plus more for baking dish
- ¼ cup diced onion
- 3 to 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 pound plant-based ground meat
- One 32-ounce jar low-sodium marinara sauce
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- ¼ cup chopped parsley, plus more for sprinkling
- One 16-ounce package cashew cheese spread
- 3 pounds eggplant, sliced lengthwise ¼-inch-thick
- 12 basil leaves, torn
Preheat the oven to 350˚F. For the cauliflower "bechamel," in a microwave-safe bowl, steam the cauliflower with a little bit of water until tender, about 10 minutes. Transfer to a blender with the nutmeg, salt, pepper and nutritional yeast, and puree until thick and smooth. Let cool.
In a pan with olive oil, cook the onion, garlic and plant-based ground meat for 4 to 5 minutes. Stir in the marinara sauce and let cool.
Mix the oregano and parsley with the cashew cheese.
To assemble the lasagna, coat a 9-by-13-inch baking dish with olive oil. Layer the lasagna beginning with half of the meat sauce, then half of the "bechamel," half of the cashew cheese, the eggplant, and then finish with layers of the remaining meat sauce, "bechamel" and cashew cheese. Bake for 1 hour, then serve in the baking dish, sprinkled with chopped parsley and the basil.