"There [are] all these different plant-based burger products out there, and because my husband and I are meat eaters, I had never worked with them until this summer. It's something you should try, whether you're a meat-eater or a meat-freer. I'm telling you, I was pleasantly surprised. They're delicious and very addictive."
With American cheese and all the classic burger toppings plus Rach's own special sauce, meat lovers won't miss a thing!
"This special sauce is great on burgers, dogs and sandwiches or even an iceberg lettuce wedge salad," Rach says.
- ⅓ cup vegan mayo (Rach loves Sir Kensington's Fabanaise), or sour cream or Greek yogurt
- ⅓ cup ketchup (Rach loves Sir Kensington's or Heinz Organic)
- ⅓ tablespoon relish (Rach loves Wickles brand)
- 1 tablespoon vegetarian Worcestershire sauce
- 1 clove garlic, grated or pasted
- 2 tablespoons fresh dill, chopped
- ½ teaspoon pimenton (smoked sweet paprika)
- 4 meatless burger patties, such as Beyond Burger or Impossible Burger (1 ½ to 2 pounds for 6-8 ounce patties)
- Salt and pepper
- About 1 tablespoon neutral oil
- 8 slices yellow American cheese, optional
- 4 sesame seed buns
- Sliced dill pickles
- Finely chopped raw white onion
- Chopped iceberg lettuce
For Rach's special sauce: In a medium glass bowl, stir together ingredients.
For the Big S'Mack Burgers: Grill meatless burgers seasoned with salt and pepper in neutral oil in a hot cast-iron skillet, about 7 to 8 minutes over medium to medium-high heat. Top with 2 slices yellow American cheese per patty, optional, during last minute of cooking time.
Assemble burgers on sesame seed buns (Rach likes Big Marty's): bun bottom, dill pickles, onion, cheeseburger, chopped iceberg lettuce, special sauce, bun top.