"Good Day L.A." anchor Rita Garcia shares her recipe for migas, a traditional scrambled egg dish made with fried tortillas and colorful veggies.
- ¼ cup cooking oil, preferably avocado
- 4 corn tortillas, cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 strips bacon, cut into bite-size pieces
- ¼ onion, chopped
- ½ green pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ red pepper, seeded and chopped
- ½ orange pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 serrano or jalapeño pepper, finely chopped (seeded for less heat)
- 4 eggs or egg whites
- Grated cheese, for serving
- 1 avocado, halved, pitted and sliced
Add oil to a pan and place over medium heat. Add tortillas and fry until just beginning to color, then stir in bacon and fry until golden brown. Add onion and peppers, and cook, stirring, until tender.
Create a well in the center of the pan. Add eggs and gently toss with the tortilla mixture until cooked through. Serve topped with cheese and avocado.