The cheesy, garlicky gluten-free brunch recipe packs plenty of protein from eggs, plus fiber from a whole box of frozen spinach.
Rach likes to serve this with her Sautéed Spring Vegetables.
- 12 eggs
- 1 cup fresh ricotta cheese, drained (sheep's or cow's milk)
- About 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup parsley, chopped
- 1 box chopped frozen spinach, defrosted and wrung dry
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4-5 large cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
- One 8-ounce bag shredded mozzarella cheese or mozzarella and provolone blend
- 1 sprinkle red chili flakes
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 small handful basil leaves, torn, to serve
Preheat oven to 425˚F with rack 1 rung above center.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk up eggs, ricotta, Parm, salt, pepper, parsley and spinach.
Heat an 11-12 inch nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat. If the handle is not heat-safe, double-wrap it in foil. Add EVOO, 3 turns of the pan, then add garlic and swirl for half a minute. Add egg and cheese mixture, settle the eggs and as they cook, move them around to pull back cooked egg and let the loose egg get set, then transfer to oven.
Bake the frittata 10-12 minutes to puff but the top should remain a bit wet, then remove from oven, top with mozzarella and return to oven. Bake until browned and set, 10 minutes more. Cool on rack 10 minutes, then top with chili flakes and oregano. Slide frittata onto a board to cut, top with a few leaves of basil. Cut into wedges to serve.