You only need 10 ingredients and 15 minutes to make this easy recipe for steamed mussels & clams with white wine & garlic from Boston-based "Top Chef" Michael Schlow of restaurants Via Matta, Radius and Tico.
This yummy seafood dish (Vongole e Cozze in Brodetto in Italian) is one of the chef's favorite things to make with Rachael when they travel together to Tuscany.
Try another one of Rach's Italian vacation favorites: Easy Raspberry Crostata (Italian Tart) With Basil
- 6 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large clove garlic, smashed
- Pinch each kosher salt and black pepper
- Pinch crushed red pepper
- 6-8 ripe cherry tomatoes, halved
- ¼ cup white wine
- 10-12 manilla clams, or 15 to 18 cockle clams
- 12-14 PEI mussels
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Grilled bread drizzled with olive oil, for dunking (optional)
In a medium-large sauce pot, combine olive oil and garlic over high heat. Cook until garlic is light golden brown, 1 to 2 minutes. Add salt, black pepper, and red pepper, then tomatoes and white wine. Saute for 15 to 30 seconds, then add clams and mussels and cover until their shells open, 2 to 3 minutes. Stir in chopped parsley, then adjust seasoning to taste.
Transfer to a large bowl to serve with grilled bread, if using.