A quick dressing of rice wine vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil gives thinly sliced cucumbers loads of flavor in this light Japanese-inspired side dish.
Rach likes to serve it with her Pork Kiev Tonkatsu & Green Rice.
- 1 seedless cucumber or 4 Persian cucumbers, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or white vinegar
- 1 1/2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 1/2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 2 scallions, chopped or thinly sliced
- A handful shiso leaves or cilantro leaves, ¼ cup, thinly sliced or chopped
For the salad, season cucumbers with salt and sugar, then drain in strainer for 15 minutes. Toss with vinegar, soy sauce and sesame oil, then add scallions and shiso or cilantro and toss.