All the deliciousness of carbonara, packed into an easy, make-ahead casserole that's perfect for brunch, lunch or dinner.
Rach likes to serve this with her Mixed Lettuce Salad with Fennel.
- ½ pound spaghetti
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO), plus more for pasta
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 12 large eggs
- About 2 teaspoons coarse black pepper
- 1 ½ cups ricotta cheese, drained
- ½ cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- ½ cup grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 1 generous handful flat parsley, finely chopped
- ⅓ pound meaty pancetta, diced
- 4 large cloves garlic, sliced or chopped
Cook spaghetti in 4 quarts salted boiling water for about 7 minutes, a minute or 2 shy of package directions. Drain and rinse, then toss with a little olive oil, about 1 tablespoon.
Heat a 12-inch ovenproof cast iron or nonstick skillet over medium to medium-high heat and preheat the oven to 375˚F. Add 3 tablespoons EVOO and melt butter into oil. Whisk up eggs and black pepper, ricotta, grated cheeses and parsley. When butter foams, swirl around the pan. Add pancetta, render 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 1-2 minutes. Add pasta, toss and spread into an even layer, nesting it into the pan. Cover the pan with eggs and cheese and let it settle, then transfer to oven and bake until golden and just set, about 25-30 minutes. Cool and slide onto a cutting board to serve.