Glazed chicken is served alongside fragrant jasmine rice and broccolini slicked with an umami-laden combo of black bean sauce and spicy pickled peppers.
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs and breast
- Salt and ground Szechuan pepper or combo of black and white pepper
- 2 medium leeks
- 6 cloves garlic
- 2 inches ginger
- About 3 tablespoons neutral oil, such as safflower or peanut oil
- About ½ cup Shaoxing Chinese rice wine or dry sherry
- About ½ cup kumquat or orange preserves
- About ½ cup chicken stock
- 3 tablespoons Sriracha or Frank's RedHot sauce
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1 large or 2 medium bunches broccolini
- 1 leek
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 inch ginger
- ¼ cup sliced pickled cherry peppers and brine or 2-3 small chilies, thinly sliced, and 2 tablespoons white or rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons neutral oil, such as safflower or peanut oil
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame oil
- About 3 tablespoons black bean sauce
- About ½ cup water
- 2 tablespoons toasted sesame seeds
- 1 ½ cups water
- 1 cup jasmine rice
Gather ingredients for each dish as you prepare it.
For the chicken, cut off the fat and bits of tendon and skin from chicken and cut into large bite-sized pieces, season with salt and Szechuan pepper on both sides.
Trim tough ends and roots from leeks and halve lengthwise, washing an extra leek for the broccolini as well. Fan the leeks under water to release grit then shake dry and halve again, then chop into ½-inch pieces for chicken and ¼-inch for broccolini.
Crack garlic and trim root, then halve pieces for the chicken and reserve a few for broccolini. Peel the 3 inches ginger and slice 2 inches into matchsticks or thin julienne for chicken and leave a small chunk to grate for broccolini.
Gather ingredients for broccolini.
For the broccolini, trim the ends and chop broccolini. Chop the leek into ¼ inch dice. Slice garlic, grate ginger and chop the chili peppers. Heat the oil for the broccolini in a large skillet over medium-high to high heat. Add the broccolini and cook 1-2 minutes, add leeks, garlic, ginger, chopped chili peppers and sesame oil, toss 2-3 minutes more, add sauce and water, then toss, cover, remove from heat. Sprinkle with sesame seed to serve.
To cook chicken, heat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with oil, 3 turns of the pan. Cook the chicken pieces to brown 4-5 minutes, turn and add halved garlic and matchsticks or thin julienne of ginger. Brown 2-3 minutes and remove the chicken to a plate, add rice wine or sherry, stir in jam to melt, add stock, hot sauce and soy sauce, thicken a bit, then add the chicken back to pan and glaze. Turn off heat and cover.
Meanwhile, heat water and salt and rice to a boil, cover and cook about 15 minutes, then turn off heat and fluff with fork.
Serve Dragon Chicken, Broccolini with Black Bean Sauce and Sesame and Jasmine Rice family-style.