A rich and tangy tomato spread cuts through the crisp lettuce and inner gooeyness of this dressed-up grilled cheese.
Rach likes to pair her grilled cheese with her Red Cabbage Soup.
- 1 cup packed sundried cherry tomatoes or sundried tomatoes, coarsley chopped
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 tablespoons wine vinegar, red or white
- 1 large or 2 small cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 teaspoon lemon peel or orange peel or a combination of both
- ½ teaspoon fennel seed
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 tablespoons melted butter
- 8 slices white or wheat bread
- 8 slices Swiss, Muenster or provolone cheese
- 2 cups loosely packed Upland cress leaves or arugula
Place tomatoes in a dish, cover with boiling water, let stand 15 minutes, drain, and rinse with hot water. Place in food processor with vinegar, garlic, citrus peel, fennel, red pepper, oregano, and EVOO, then process into smooth paste.
Build sandwiches by brushing one side of each bread slice. Place buttered sides out and spread sundried tomato paste on inside of bread and stack in cheese and greens. Grill or griddle over medium heat to golden and crispy.