- ½ cup ried porcini mushrooms
- 1 ½ cups chicken or vegetable stock
- 1/3 cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 4 arge Portobello mushrooms, wiped clean with damp towel, trimmed of tough stems, scraped of gills, halved and sliced or chopped into small-bite pieces
- 2 large cloves garlic, crushed and sliced or chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- One 15-ounce can Italian cherry tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon chili flakes or Calabrian chili paste, optional
- 1 small bunch kale or chard, stemmed and shredded
- 1 pound gemelli, penne or farro/whole grain short-cut pasta
- Grated pecorino or Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, to toss and pass at table
Place porcini and stock in a small pot and simmer over low flame to plump mushrooms and flavor stock.
Heat a large pot of water to boil for pasta.
Heat EVOO over medium-high heat with oil, about 1/3 cup, and add the mushrooms. Brown the mushrooms to fragrant and deeply golden, add garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, then stir 2 minutes, add tomatoes, chili and wilt in greens. Reduce heat under sauce and add the reconstituted porcinis and reserved stock.
Cook pasta to 1-2 minutes less than package directions for al dente in well-salted water. Reserve ½ cup pasta water and transfer pasta to sauce and combine with cooking water and cheese, adjust seasonings to taste.