- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 pound crimini mushrooms, wiped and sliced
- 1 pound Maitake or hen-of-the-woods mushrooms, pulled and tough stems discarded
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, grated or chopped
- A few sprigs rosemary, stripped and finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- ½ cup dry Marsala
- 1 cup chicken bone broth, or chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 pound spaghetti
- ½ cup mascarpone, or crème fraiche
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1 cup grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- One handful flat-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- Chopped toasted peeled hazelnuts or pine nuts, optional
Heat a large pot of boiling water for pasta.
Heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, melt butter into oil and when it foams, add the mushrooms, brown 15 minutes, stirring frequently, add shallots, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper, stir 2-3 minutes more. Add the Marsala wine, about ½ cup, and swirl a minute, add bone broth or stock and reduce heat to low bubble, simmer.
Salt boiling water and cook pasta about 7 minutes, reserve ½ cup of starchy water and drain pasta.
Stir the mascarpone into sauce and turn off heat then add Dijon mustard. Toss spaghetti with sauce and cheese, taste to adjust seasoning. Top with parsley, and nuts if using.