This comfort food mash-up pairs a classic beef patty with creamy mushroom topping and an egg noodle bun.
We also highly recommend Rach’s Stroganoff Casserole.
- One 12- or 16-ounce bag extra-wide egg noodles
- 2 eggs
- Salt and pepper
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh herbs (chives, dill and parsley)
- 2 tablespoons butter, room temperature
- Olive oil cooking spray
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 12 ounces white or crimini mushrooms, thinly sliced (3/4 pound)
- 2 large shallots, finely chopped (or 1 medium white or yellow onion)
- 2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme, chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup dry sherry, or ½ cup white wine
- 1/2 cup beef stock
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 1/2 pounds ground beef (80/20)
- 3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- Kosher salt and coarse black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
For the buns, cook egg noodles to package directions. Drain and cool.
In a large bowl, whisk eggs with salt, pepper, granulated garlic and herbs. Add cooked egg noodles and toss to coat. Grease a 9-by-13-inch cookie sheet with the butter. Add the egg noodle mixture and top with another 9-by-13-inch cookie sheet and place a heavy skillet over top to weigh it down. Let chill in fridge for at least an hour.
Preheat oven to 400˚F. Once oven is hot, remove the cookie sheets from the fridge. Spray the pressed noodles with cooking spray. Bake for 20-25 minutes or until top is golden-brown and crisp. Remove from oven to cool slightly and then turn out of the pan and cut into 8 squares.
For the mushrooms, heat skillet over medium-high heat with olive oil, 2 turns of the pan. Add mushrooms and brown well. Add the shallots or onion, garlic, thyme, salt and pepper, stir a few minutes to soften shallots, then add sherry or wine and let it evaporate and cook into the mushrooms. Add stock and simmer 5 minutes, then stir in heavy cream and sour cream and remove from heat.
For the burgers, preheat cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat. Combine beef with Worcestershire, kosher salt and coarse black pepper, and form 4 patties, thinner at center for even cooking. Add oil to skillet, 1 turn of the pan, and cook patties 8 minutes, turning occasionally.
Serve burgers on egg noodle buns topped with stroganoff mushrooms.