This fun twist on the classic wedge salad is topped with sweet & tangy chicken, crumbled bacon and crunchy BBQ corn chips.
"Start the bacon before you begin then chicken, then prepare the rest of the salad after the chicken is simmering in sauce," Rach says.
- ¾ cup sour cream
- ¾ cup buttermilk
- 1 lemon
- ½ cup finely chopped cilantro and/or parsley, chives and dill
- 1 teaspoon granulated garlic
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup smoked blue cheese or blue cheese crumbles
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 6 cloves garlic, chopped or grated
- ¼ cup bourbon or whisky
- ¼ cup Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup hot sauce, such as Frank's RedHot
- ¼ cup pourable light brown sugar
- ¼ cup cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons smoked shoyu or soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons molasses
- ½ to 1 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon coarse black pepper
- 1 large (2 ½ to 3 pounds cooked weight) or 2 small (1 ½ to 2 pounds cooked weight) rotisserie chicken, skin removed, meat removed from bones then thinly sliced
- 12 slices meaty bacon
- 1 large head iceberg lettuce, cored, quartered and thinly sliced
- 3 heads gem Romaine or 1 head Romaine lettuce, chopped
- 1 bag Barbecue Fritos or Original Fritos
- 4 large radishes, or 1 watermelon radish (cut into matchsticks)
- 1 large carrot, cut into matchsticks
- 3-4 small ribs celery, from the heart with leafy tops, thinly sliced on bias
- 1 large bunch scallions, thinly sliced on bias
Heat oven to 400˚F and bake bacon on slotted pan or wire rack-lined baking sheet, about 15 minutes to very crisp, then cool and chop.
For the ranch, in a bowl, whisk up sour cream, buttermilk and juice of 1 lemon, then add herbs to dressing, granulated garlic, salt, pepper, and stir in the smoked blue cheese/blue cheese.
For the chicken, heat a skillet over medium to medium-high heat and melt butter. When it foams, add garlic, swirl a minute, then add whisky, Worcestershire, hot sauce, light brown sugar, vinegar, soy sauce, molasses, stock and black pepper. Bring sauce to a bubble and add sliced chicken, then lower heat to simmer and add more stock if necessary to keep it saucy and moist.
For the salad, arrange sliced iceberg lettuce on cutting board and scatter in the Romaine. Arrange the chips on a tray and warm in oven 2-3 minutes. Top the lettuce with radishes, carrots, celery, half the scallions and dressing. Top with Fritos, chicken, bacon bits and remaining scallions.