These gluten-free stuffed peppers are filled with three kinds of cheese, sausage and spinach! YUM.
For a version you can make with rice, spaghetti or orzo, check out this recipe for stuffed peppers.
- 5 bell peppers, assorted colors or any color, halved lengthwise and seeded
- Salt and pepper
- One 16-ounce bag chopped defrosted frozen spinach
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 1 ½ pounds sweet sausage with fennel
- 1 red or white onion, chopped
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 fresh red or green hot chili finger pepper, finely chopped
- 1 cup drained semi-dried tomatoes or drained canned cherry tomatoes
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 1 cup freshly grated Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese
- 2 ½ cups shredded brick mozzarella (¾ pound)
- Fresh basil leaves, to serve
Preheat oven to 400˚F with rack 1 rung above center. Season the inside of peppers with salt and pepper and arrange on baking sheet or in shallow casserole dish. Par-roast the peppers 12-15 minutes and remove from oven.
Place the spinach in a kitchen towel and wring the spinach dry.
Meanwhile, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, then add the sausage and brown and crumble. Add onions, garlic and chili pepper, stir a couple of minutes, then add tomatoes and remove from heat. Cool until able to handle.
Add ricotta and Parm to sausage and stir, then fold in the spinach. Fill peppers and top with mozzarella, then bake 20 minutes to golden and bubbly. Cool a few minutes, top with torn basil and serve.