A creamy filling of skillet chicken + veggies is topped with golden buttermilk biscuits & drizzled with hot honey.
Rach's Note on Hot Honey: It can be store-bought (there are so many brands now) or mix a couple round tablespoons Calabrian chili paste to 1 cup Acacia honey in a squeeze bottle with top cut down to widen opening.
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, chopped (or 2 cups small pearl onions, defrosted and pat dry)
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 2 ribs celery with leafy tops, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed or chopped
- 1 leek , chopped
- Salt and finely ground black or white pepper
- 1 large bay leaf
- 2 tablespoons fresh thyme
- 1 rounded tablespoon flour
- About 2 cups chicken bone broth or stock
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- About ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg, to taste
- 1 rotisserie chicken or roast chicken, remove the skin and bones and pull or chop meat into bite-sized pieces (5-6 cups)
- ½ lemon juiced and zested
- About ¾ cup frozen peas or shelled edamame
- 1 tube buttermilk Pillsbury Grands biscuits, 8 biscuits cut into quarters or 4 pieces each
- Hot honey, for topping
Preheat oven to 375˚F with rack at middle and line a large baking sheet with parchment.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet or braising pan over medium heat. Melt butter, and when it foams, add onions, carrots, celery, garlic, leeks, salt and pepper or white pepper, bay and thyme. Partially cover the pan and sweat 5-6 minutes to soften, add flour and stir to combine. Whisk in stock and thicken a minute, reduce heat to simmer/low, add milk, Dijon mustard, and nutmeg to taste. Stir in chicken and finish with lemon juice, lemon zest and peas, then remove bay. Top pan with quartered buttermilk biscuits and bake 20-25 minutes to golden. Top with hot honey on top of biscuits and serve.