Chicken thighs and breasts are pan-seared in a skillet then braised in the oven with a fresh fig sauce. Hello, easy one-pan meal.
- 7 pieces bone-in, skin-on chicken, 3 breasts and 4 thighs
- Salt and pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 small red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, finely chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, crushed
- ½ lemon or orange, plus one 3-inch curl of peel
- 3 tablespoons fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 teaspoon red chili flakes
- 3 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1 cup chicken stock or chicken bone broth
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 6 to 7 fresh figs, halved
- Crusty bread
Preheat oven to 350˚F.
Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
Heat a large cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat with EVOO, 2 turns of the pan, and brown chicken well, 4 minutes skin-side down and 2 to 3 minutes on bone side, then remove to plate. Add butter and melt, add onions (Rach likes to use her Bench Scrape), season with salt and pepper and soften 3 to 4 minutes. Add shallots, garlic, citrus peel, rosemary, and red chili flakes, stir 2 minutes, add vinegar, stir, then add stock, mustard and honey and combine. Slide chicken and figs into sauce and transfer to oven for 15 minutes. Remove citrus peel and squeeze the ½ lemon or orange over top and serve with crusty bread for mopping.