How To Make Spiced Winter Chicken Soup By Rachael
We're Gearing Up For The Biggest Day In Football With Brandon Co…
Rach's Lemon Risotto + The Best Deals For Valentine's Day Gifts …
Bob Harper Joins Rach For Pasta Night + Makeover For Viewer Who …
Rob Lowe On Working With His Son on 9-1-1 Lone Star + Rach's Roa…
Rob Lowe On His "West Wing" Pride + What It's Like Working With …
How To Make Instant Pot Sausage & Shells | 20 Minute Meal | Pres…
Prodigal Son's Tom Payne On His Covid Wedding: "We got married b…
What Are Rachael & John Reading Right Now? | Books To Read In 20…
How To Make Raw Mushroom & Escarole Salad | Rachael Ray
How To Make a Sage Advice Cocktail | John Cusimano
Ground spices and a homemade green hot sauce give chicken soup a tasty twist. (Store-bought green harissa or green hot sauce can be substituted.)
Rach's Tip: The homemade green hot sauce keeps for a month refrigerated in an airtight container. It's great on eggs or sandwiches, in soups and sauces.
- 1 tablespoon cumin seed, a palmful
- ½ tablespoon caraway seed, half a palmful
- ½ tablespoon coriander seed, half a palmful
- ½ tablespoon black peppercorn, half a palmful
- ¼ teaspoon ground cloves
- ½ teaspoon ground cardamom
- ⅛ teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 2 onions, chopped
- 3 carrots, chopped
- 3 ribs celery, chopped with leafy tops
- 1 inch turmeric root, finely chopped or grated (or 1 teaspoon of ground/dry)
- 4-5 cloves garlic, sliced or chopped or grated
- 1 inch ginger root, finely chopped or grated
- 8-10 white or yellow skin small or baby potatoes, diced
- 1 rotisserie chicken
- 6-8 cups chicken bone broth
- One 14-ounce can diced tomato, drained
- 1 bunch cilantro, 2 cups
- ½ bunch flat parsley, 1 cup
- ½ bunch mint, ½ cup
- 2 jalapeño peppers, stemmed and coarsely chopped
- 2-3 cloves garlic, grated
- 2 limes, juiced
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground cardamom
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- About ½ cup extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
In a small skillet over medium-high heat, toast seeds and peppercorns and then grind them in a small spice mill or grinder. Or, use already ground spices (if you don’t have seeds or want to use up what you have in the pantry) and coat the onions with them as they cook, see below. To the cumin blend, add the cloves, cardamom, and nutmeg.
In a soup pot over medium to medium-high heat, add EVOO, onions, carrots and celery, season with salt, partially cover and sweat 5 minutes. Add ground spices with onions if you are not toasting and grinding spice blend.
Add freshly ground spices with turmeric (or dried substitute), garlic, ginger, and potatoes, stir and cover to sweat while you remove skin and bones from chicken and pull into small pieces. Add chicken to pot. Add broth and tomato, bring to boil, then reduce heat to simmer and cook 20-30 minutes.
Combine green sauce ingredients in food processor and pulse-process into loose pesto-like sauce and transfer to a small jar.
Serve soup in shallow bowls topped with some fresh or store-bought green hot sauce.