- 1 ½ cups vegetable or chicken broth
- 1 cup white rice
- 1 cup cilantro
- 1 lime, juiced
- 2 cups packed spinach leaves
- 4 scallions, coarsely chopped
- 1 jalapeño pepper, seeded
- 2 large poblano peppers
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- 6 tomatillos, chopped
- 1 red onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon ground cumin
- 4 large cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 cups frozen or canned fire-roasted corn
- 2 jalapeño peppers, trim ends and seed with apple corer or pointed vegetable peeler then very thinly slice
- 2 cups pulled or chopped cooked rotisserie chicken (vegan substitute: one 10.5-ounce package meatless chicken—Rach likes Gardein Meatless Chick'n Strips), chopped
- 2 quarts vegetable or chicken stock
For the green rice, bring stock to boil, add rice and salt, stir, then cover and reduce heat to low, cook 15 minutes.
Very finely chop the cilantro, lime, spinach, scallions and jalapeño by pulsing in a food processor. Add to rice then remove from heat and let stand.
For the soup, char the poblanos and blacken all over over open flame or under broiler, cover and cool, peel and seed, chop.
Heat a soup pot over medium-high heat with EVOO, poblanos, tomatillos, onions, cumin and garlic, soften 5 minutes, add corn, jalapeño peppers, Chick'n or chicken, stock and rice. Simmer until ready to serve.