Spiralized sweet potato noodles and coconut milk are a healthy, gluten-free cheat for pasta alfredo.
"I like a quarter-inch size thickness in a pappardelle shape here if possible," says Blais.
- 2 large sweet potatoes (about ½ pound)
- ½ small yellow onion, minced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1 cup unsweetened coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan, plus more for serving
- 1 teaspoon black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons chopped parsley
- ½ lemon
Spiralize the sweet potatoes into your preferred noodle shape.
In a pot of salted boiling water, blanch the sweet potato noodles for 2 minutes, then drain and reserve (rinse the “noodles” under cold water if you want a firmer texture).
In the same pot, sweat the minced onion and garlic in about a tablespoon of butter over low heat until soft. Add the remaining 2 tablespoons butter, coconut milk, parmesan,, black pepper, a handful of chopped parsley, and a squeeze of lemon.
When this bubbles, turn off the heat and add the sweet potato noodles, being careful not to break them. Finish with more grated Parmesan, parsley, and black pepper to taste.