This no-cook, simple salad calls for the best tomatoes you can find.
"I literally lived on this — and I'm not joking — for a couple of months," Rach says. "When I was a kid, [25 to 30] years ago, I moved briefly to Denmark, and I had no proper kitchen. I lived on tomato salad, bread and great Scandinavian and Danish cheese. That was everything I had. And of course, wine."
- 18 Capri tomatoes or 2 pints large cherry tomatoes, halved
- ½ small white or red onion, finely chopped, or 4 scallions, thinly sliced, or 2 spring onions, very thinly sliced
- ¼ cup flat-leaf parsley, chopped
- A handful basil leaves, torn or cut into chiffonade
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil (EVOO)
- Salt and pepper
Combine ingredients in shallow dish and let stand 30 minutes before serving.